UPPSC Syllabus: PCS Prelims Exam
UPPSC Prelims Examination is meant to serve as a screening test only and the marks obtained in the PCS and ACF/ RFO Preliminary Examination by the Candidates, who are declared qualified for admission to the Main Examination, will not be counted for determining their final order of merit. The Syllabus for the UPPSC PCS and ACF/ RFO Prelims is similar to that of IAS.
UPPSC Prelims Syllabus: Paper I
- Current events of National and International importance: On Current Events of National and International Importance, candidates will be expected to have knowledge about them.
- Indian History: Ancient, Medieval, Modern: In History emphasis should be on broad understanding social, economic and political aspects of Indian History. In the Indian National Movement, the candidates are expected to have synoptic view of nature and character of the freedom movement, growth of nationalism and attainment of Independence
- Indian and World Geography- Physical, Social, Economic geography of India and the World: In World Geography only general understanding of the subject will be expected. Questions on the Geography of India will relate to Physical, Social & Economic Geography of India.
- Indian Governance and Polity: It covers details of Indian Polity, Economic and Culture, questions will test knowledge of country's political system including Panchayati Raj and Community Development, broad features of Economic policy in India and Indian CulturePolitical System, Constitution, Public Policy, Panchayati Raj, Rights issues, etc.
- Social and Economic Development: Sustainable Development Poverty Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.General Issues on Environmental ecology, Bio-diversity, and Climate Change- that do not require subject specialization.
- Environmental Ecology, Climate Change, and Biodiversity – general issues that do not require subject specialization: The questions will be in respect to problems and relationship between Population, Environment and Urbanisation. General Issues on Environmental ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change - that do not require subject specialization, General awareness of the subject is expected from candidates.
- General Science: This section questions will be from general appreciation and understanding of Science including matters of every day observation and experience, as may be expected of a well educated person, who has not made a special study of any scientific discipline
UPPSC Prelims Syllabus: Paper 2
- Interpersonal skills (including communication skills)
- Analytical Ability & Logical Reasoning
- Problem Solving & Decision Making
- General Mental Ability
- Elementary Mathematics (class X level – Algebra, Statistics, Geometry and Arithmetic):
Elementary Mathematics (Upto Class X Level)
Arithmetic : (i) Number systems: Natural Numbers, Integers, Rational and Irrational numbers, Real numbers, Divisors of an Integer, prime Integers, L.C.M. and H.C.F. of integers and their Interrelationship. (ii)Average
(iii) Ratio and proportion
(v) Profit and Loss
(vi) Simple and Compound Interests
(vii) Work and Time
(viii) Speed, Time and Distance
Algebra: (i) Factors of polynomials, L.C.M. and H.C.F. of polynomials and their Interrelationship, Remainder theorem, simultaneous linear equations, quadratic equations.
(ii) Set Theory:- Set, null set, subsets and proper subsets of a set, operations (Union, Intersections, difference, symmetric difference) between sets, venn diagram.
Geometry: (i) Constructions and theorems regarding triangle, rectangle, square, trapezium and circles, their perimeter and area.
(ii) Volume and surface area of sphere, right circular cylinder, right circular Cone and Cube.
Statistics: Collection of data, Classification of data, frequency, frequency distribution, tabulation, cumulative frequency. Representation of data - Bar diagram, Pie chart, histogram, frequency polygon, cumulative frequency curves (ogives), Measures of Central tendency: Arithmetic Mean, Median and Mode.
General English (class X level)
- Active Voice and Passive Voice
- Parts of Speech
- Transformation of Sentences
- Direct and Indirect Speech
- Punctuation and Spellings
- Words meanings
- Vocabulary & Usage
- Idioms and Phrases
- Fill in the Blanks
General Hindi (class X level)
UPPSC Syllabus 2020: FAQs
Q 1. Is there a negative marking in UPPSC PCS 2020 Exam
Ans. Yes, there is negative marking in Paper I of UPPSC PCS Prelims.
Q 2. Is knowledge of Hindi needed
Ans. Yes, there is a Subjective paper on Hindi language of Class X level.
Q 3. How many Optional Subject are there in UPPSC
Ans. Candidates have to choice any one optional subject. There are two papers of that subject.
Q 4. How many stages are there in UPPSC
Ans. There are 3 stages namely Prelims, Mains and Interview.
Q 5. How many Papers are there in Mains Exam
Ans. The question papers are set in bilingual i.e. English and Marathi only.