Definition Of Categories
Candidates should select their categories carefully, because candidates belonging to categories other than category 71 (General), are entitled to fee concession/exemption, age relaxation and job reservation. The category once selected by a candidate will not be changed under any circumstances. Candidates shall submit certificates issued by the Competent Authority in support of their claim to a particular category.
Categories and Category Code
Code No. Category Name
- General Category
- ESM, Punjab
- LDESM, Punjab
- Freedom Fighter, Punjab
- Sports Person, Punjab
- Persons with Disability, Punjab:
A : Blind and Low Vision
B : Deaf and Hard of Hearing C : Locomotive Disability
D : Intellectual Disability
- SC Others, Punjab
- SC ESM, Punjab
- SC LDESM, Punjab
- SC Sports Person, Punjab
- Balmiki/ Mazhbi Sikh, Punjab
- Balmiki/ Mazhbi Sikh ESM, Punjab
- Balmiki/ Mazhbi Sikh LDESM, Punjab
- Balmiki/ Mazhbi Sikh Sports Person, Punjab
- BC, Punjab
- BC ESM, Punjab
- BC LDESM, Punjab
92 Economically Weaker Section.
CODE FOR AGE RELAXATION (If claimed)
Code No Category Name
- State Government/Central Government Employees.
- SC Punjab only
- Balmiki/Mazhbi Sikh Punjab Only
- Widows & certain other categories of women of Punjab.
- B.C., Punjab Only
- ESM, Punjab Only
- Persons with Disability, Punjab Only
- SC Punjab only+ State Government/Central Government Employees.
- SC Punjab only + ESM, Punjab.
- SC Punjab only + Persons with Disability, Punjab.
- Balmiki/Mazhbi Sikh Punjab only+ State Government/Central Government Employees.
- Balmiki/Mazhbi Sikh Punjab only + ESM, Punjab.
- Balmiki/Mazhbi Sikh Punjab only + Persons with Disability, Punjab.
- B.C., Punjab. + State Government/Central Government Employees.
- B.C., Punjab. + ESM, Punjab
- B.C., Punjab. + Persons with Disability, Punjab.
BACKWARD CLASSES (PUNJAB)
The candidates desiring to be considered for the Backward Classes category are required to submit a certificate as per Punjab Governmentletter
No.1/41/93 .RCI/459 dated 17/1/1994, No. 1/41/93RC-1/1597, dated 17-8- 2005, No.1/41/93 RCI/209, dated 24.2.2009 and No.1/41/93 RCI/609 dated 24.10.2013 in the Section of prescribed proforma.
The BC Certificate in Performa other than the prescribed Performa will not be accepted. The candidates belongingtoBackwardClasses are requiredtoattacha declaration(as per Annexure-III) along with Backward Classcertificate thatno change occurred in their status and they do not fall in the section of creamy- layer as per Govt. letter No. 10/9/2009-RCI/62 Dated08/1/2010.
The Competent Authorities to issue the necessary certificateare:
- Deputy Commissioner
- Additional Deputy Commissioner
- Sub-Divisional Magistrate
- Executive Magistrate (PCS Officers only)
SON/DAUGHTER/GRAND SON/GRAND DAUGHTER OF FREEDOM FIGHTERS (PUNJAB)
Candidates claiming to be son/grandson/daughter/granddaughter of FreedomFighters are required to submit a certificate issued by the competent authority (i.e., Deputy Commissioner of the district concerned) as per Punjab Government Instructions No.9 (13) 3P-II-84/5822 dated 4/4/1985, No.1(135)-8P- II/7/310/20,dated 19.6.91 and No. 4-13-8 P-11-97/10112 dated22/8/1997.
Only those Freedom Fighters andtheirson/daughter/grand-son/grand-daughterare eligible for consideration for reservation under this categorywho:
- belong to the State of Punjab; and
- have either been granted a Freedom Fighter pension by the Punjab Government or have been awarded Tamra Patra by the Government of India; or
- are otherwise eligible for the grant of Freedom Fighter pension and Tamra Patra but for any reason whatsoever did not apply for Freedom Fighter pension and Tamra Patra but can obtain Freedom Fighter/ son/daughter/grand- son/grand-daughter of Freedom Fighter certificate from the General Administration (Political wing) of the Punjab Government.
"Ex-serviceman" means a person who has served in any rank, whether as a combatant 4or a non combatant, in the Naval, Military and Air Force of the Union of India (here- in-after referred to as the Armed forces of the Union of India), and whohas:
- retired or released from such service at his or her own request after earning his or her pension; or
- been released from such service on medical grounds attributable to military service or circumstances beyond his control and awarded medical or other disability pension; or
- been released otherwise than on his own request from such service as a result of reduction in establishment; or
- been released from such service after completing the specific period of engagement otherwise than at his own request or by way of dismissal or discharge on account of misconduct or inefficiency and has been given a gratuity;
"but does not include apersonwho has servedin the Defence Security Corps,the General Reserve Engineering Force, the Lok Sahayak Sena and the Para - Military Forces, but includes personnel of the SahayakSenaofthefollowing categories namely:
- Pension holders for continuous embodied service
- Persons with disability attributable to military service; and
- Gallantry award winners
Ex-servicemen should be of Punjab domicile and they should submit a Punjab Resident Certificate from the competent authority, failing which would result in cancellation of theircandidature.
Explanation: The persons serving in the Armed Forces of the Union, who on retirement from service would come under the category of "Ex-servicemen”, may be permitted to apply for re-employment one year before the completion of specified terms of engagement and avail themselves of all concessions available to Ex-servicemen but shall not be permitted to leave the uniform until they complete the specified terms of engagement in the Armed Forces of the Union.
As per Punjab Govt. letter No.15/25/2001-4DW/1591 dated 21/5/2002 an Ex- serviceman is allowed the benefit of Reservation for the second time and even thereafter in subsequent recruitment in according with the provisions of these Rules.
Provided that where an Ex-serviceman is not available for recruitment against a reserved category, such a vacancy shall be reservedtobefilledinby recruitment of either the wife or one descendent child of anEx-serviceman.
Provided further that the wife or the Lineal Descendent child of theEx- serviceman shall be recruited against the reserved vacancy subject to theconditions that:
- he or she possesses the prescribed qualifications and the within the prescribed age limit,
- he or she is not already in service;
- he or she will be eligible to avail the benefit only once in life.
Provided further that one grand Child of the Gallantry Award Winner shall be recruited against the reserved vacancy, in case the benefit or reservation has not been availed of by any of the children or dependents such winner or by the winner himself subject to the conditions specified in the second proviso.
For the purpose ofl this proviso Gallantry Award Winner includes the winner of the Paramvir Chakra,The Mahavir Chakra, the Vir Chakra, the Sena or Nao Sena or Vayu Sena Medal and Mention-in-Despatches.
As per Punjab Government notification No.GSR9/Const./ Art309, 234 and 318/Amd(5)/2003 dated 06/11/2002 and letter No. 1/28/92-3ET/2805 dated 14/05/2003 and;
- “Lineal Descendent” means sons/daughters (married/un-married/widowed legally divorced) of the re-employed/ unemployed Ex-Serviceman.
- “Wife” shall include the widow of an Ex-serviceman, provided she has not re-married up to the date of the issue of the appointment letter.”
- In any case, including the case where the Ex-Serviceman has died, his sons/daughters shall be treated as “Lineal descendent” only if a certificate to this effect has been issued by the authority appointed by the Government.
Definition of War Hero:-
- “War hero” means a defence services personnel or a para-military forces personnel, who is a bona fide resident of Punjab State and has been killed or discharged from service on account of disability suffered by him on or after 1st January, 1999, while fighting in war declared so by Government of India, in operations in Kargil or any other sector in J. and K. in the on going conflict with Pakistan other operations which may be notified by the State Government to have been undertaken for preserving the unity and integrity of the Country ; or
- A defence services personnel or a para-military forces personnel who was a bona fide resident of Punjab State and was posthumously decorated with Parmvir Chakra, Mahavir or Vir Chakra : provided that,—
- In exceptional instances, the cases of such War Heroes may also be covered, with the prior approval of the Department of Personnel who though bona fide residents of Punjab State are closely connected to the State of Punjab;
- In the case of War Heroes, falling in the category (II), the benefits to be given by the State Government will be restricted only to first generation dependent member/next of the kin. Note.- The Government reserves the right to include any other category of Awardees for the purpose of providing employment to the category of War Heroes, as may be notified.
SPORTS PERSON (PUNJAB)
A candidate can claim reservation under the Sports Person category only if:
He/ She belongs to State of Punjab;and
- He/ She has won National Championship in team or individual events while representing the State of Punjab in such sports events as have been conducted by such respective National Federations as are affiliated to the Indian Olympic Association ; or
- He/ She has won National Championship in team or individual events which are organized by the Indian Olympic Association; or
- He/ She has won first, second or third position in team or individual events and/or he has won Gold or Silver or Bronze Medal, at International Sports meets, conducted by International Federations affiliated to the International Olympic Committee or by the International Olympic Committee itself.
If candidate belongs to Sports Person, Punjab Category, an attested copy of Gradation Certificate strictly in accordance with the Punjab SportsmanRules, 1988 issued bythecompetentauthorityshouldbeattachedwiththe applicationform.
Director Sports, Punjab is the competent authority to issue Sports Gradation Certificate and any other Sports Certificateissuedbyany otherauthority willnot be accepted a valid Certificate for claim of reservation under the SportsPerson, PunjabCategory.
Applicants claiming reservation under Sports Person, Punjab Category mustsubmit Punjab Resident Certificate from the competent authority, failing which would result in cancellation of theircandidature.
SCHEDULED CASTE, (PUNJAB)/ SCHEDULED TRIBES
The competent authorities for issuing Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes certificates are:
District Magistrate/Additional District Magistrate/ Collector/Deputy Commissioner/ Additional Deputy Commissioner/ Deputy Collector/ Ist Class Stipendiary Magistrate/ City Magistrate/ Sub Divisional Magistrate/ Taluka Magistrate/ Executive Magistrate/Extra Assistant Commissioner (Not below the rank of Ist Class StipendiaryMagistrate);
Chief Presidency Magistrate/Additional Chief PresidencyMagistrate/PresidencyMagistrate;
Revenue Officer not below the rank ofTehsildar;
Sub Divisional Officer (C) of the area where the candidate and or his family formallyresides;
Administrator/Secretary to Administrator/Development Officer Lakshadweep Islands;
As per para-3 of Punjab Govt. Instructions No. 1/8/2007-RC-1/815, dated 10thJuly, 2008, Head of Department or Head of Offices are competent to issue Scheduled Castes Certificates to those applicants whose parents are serving or residing in Chandigarh/Mohali on the basis of their parents servicerecord.
WIDOWS AND CERTAIN OTHER CATEGORIES OF WOMEN
The definitions as per Government Instructions issued vide letter No. 1/50/83- 5PP(1368)/3454 dated 23-4-84 as amended from time to time the widows and certain other categories of women for reservation in employment is as under: Widows;
Women who are legally separated from their husbands or have beendivorced;
Women whose husbands have been ordered by Civil or Criminal Courts to pay maintenance tothem;
Women whose husbands have remarried;and
Wives of serving military personnel or those who are disabled while in military service.
DISABLED PERSONS (PUNJAB) RULES FOR EXAMINATION:
As per the Instructions of Govt. of Punjab, Department of Social Security and Women and Child Development issued vide letter No. 1/1/2017-3DC/1588894/1 dated 03-10- 2019 , the reservation for Disable persons under Section 34 of the Right of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016 is as under:
Type of Disability
Blind and Low Vision
Deaf and Hard of Hearing
(including Cerebral palsy, Leprosy cured, Dwarfism, Acid attack victims and Muscular dystrophy)
(including Autism and Specific disability) and Mental illness
Multiple disabilities specified in Serial No. 1 to 4 above, including deaf-blindness.
For Definition of the above mentioned categories, please refer the Schedule appended to the Right of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016 attached as Annexure-iv.
- For persons with disability compensatory time of 20 minutes per hour is allowed.
- Persons with disability who apply for scribe in a prescribed format is attached compensatory time of 20 minutes per hours is allowed.
- 'Scribe' is allowed to the following candidate, who applies under the category of Persons with Disability, Punjab:-
- Blind and low vision candidate as per instructions cited above in Para 15.7 above.
- Such other disabilities due to which a candidates is not able to write.
- The Scribe shall not have an academic qualification of more than 10+2 class.
- Persons with Disability candidates will submit the following documents to office of PPSC (Superintendent Examination) in person, 30 days before the date of written paper (for vetting), failing which they will not be provided the Scribe or given additional time.
- Disability Certificate from office of the Civil Surgeon.
- For the provision of a Scribe, Affidavit registered as per the specimen is attached.
Economically Weaker Section :
Residents of Punjab belonging of Economically Weaker Section (whose family income is less that Rs. 8.00 lac per annum) who are not covered under the
existing scheme of reservation for Scheduled Castes and Backward Classes.
For this purpose *Family* will include the person who seeks benefit of reservation, his/her parents, sibling below the age of 18 years, as also
his/her spouse and children below the age of 18 year.
"Income" will include all sources for the financial year prior to the year of application. Further a person will be excluded whose family owns/possesses any of the following assets:
- 5 Agricultural Land and above.
- Residential flat of 1000 sq. ft. and above
- Residential plot of 100 sq. yards and above in notified municipalities/Nagar Panchatyat.
IV) Residential plot of 200 sq. yards and above in other than the notified municipalities/nagar Panchatyat.
THE SCHEDULE [See clause (zc) of section 2] SPECIFIED DISABILITY
- Physical disability.—
- Locomotor disability (a person's inability to execute distinctive activities associated with movement of self and objects resulting from affliction of musculoskeletal or nervous system or both), including—
- "leprosy cured person" means a person who has been cured of leprosy but is suffering from—
- loss of sensation in hands or feet as well as loss of sensation and paresis in the eye and eye-lid but with no manifest deformity;
- manifest deformity and paresis but having sufficient mobility in their hands and feet to enable them to engage in normal economic activity;
- extreme physical deformity as well as advanced age which prevents him/her from undertaking any gainful occupation, and the expression "leprosy cured" shall construed accordingly;
- "cerebral palsy" means a Group of non-progressive neurological condition affecting body movements and muscle coordination, caused by damage to one or more specific areas of the brain, usually occurring before, during or shortly after birth;
- "dwarfism" means a medical or genetic condition resulting in an adult height of 4 feet 10 inches (147 centimeters) or less;
- "muscular dystrophy" means a group of hereditary genetic muscle disease that weakens the muscles that move the human body and persons with multiple dystrophy have incorrect and missing information in their genes, which prevents them from making the proteins they need for healthy muscles. It is characterised by progressive skeletal muscle weakness, defects in muscle proteins, and the death of muscle cells and tissue;
- "acid attack victims" means a person disfigured due to violent assaults by throwing of acid or similar corrosive substance.
- Visual impairment—
- "blindness" means a condition where a person has any of the following conditions, after best correction—
- total absence of sight; or
- visual acuity less than 3/60 or less than 10/200 (Snellen) in the better eye with best possible correction; or
- limitation of the field of vision subtending an angle of less than 10 degree.
- "low-vision" means a condition where a person has any of the following conditions, namely:—
- visual acuity not exceeding 6/18 or less than 20/60 upto 3/60 or upto 10/200 (Snellen) in the better eye with best possible corrections; or
- limitation of the field of vision subtending an angle of less than 40 degree up to 10 degree.
- Hearing impairment —
- "deaf" means persons having 70 DB hearing loss in speech frequencies in both ears;
- "hard of hearing" means person having 60 DB to 70 DB hearing loss in speech frequencies in both ears;
- "speech and language disability" means a permanent disability arising out of conditions such as laryngectomy or aphasia affecting one or more components of speech and language due to organic or neurological causes.
- Intellectual disability, a condition characterised by significant limitation both in intellectual functioning (reasoning, learning, problem solving) and in adaptive behaviour which covers a range of every day, social and practical skills, including—
- "specific learning disabilities" means a heterogeneous group of conditions wherein there is a deficit in processing language, spoken or written, that may manifest itself as a difficulty to comprehend, speak, read, write, spell, or to do mathematical calculations and includes such conditions as perceptual disabilities, dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, dyspraxia and developmental aphasia;
- "autism spectrum disorder" means a neuro-developmental condition typically appearing in the first three years of life that significantly affects a person's ability to communicate, understand relationships and relate to others, and is frequently associated with unusal or stereotypical rituals or behaviours.
- Mental behaviour,—
"mental illness" means a substantial disorder of thinking, mood, perception, orientation or memory that grossly impairs judgment, behaviour, capacity to recognise reality or ability to meet the ordinary demands of life, but does not include retardation which is a conditon of arrested or incomplete development of mind of a person, specially characterised by subnormality of intelligence.
- Disability caused due to—
- chronic neurological conditions, such as—
- "multiple sclerosis" means an inflammatory, nervous system disease in which the myelin sheaths around the axons of nerve cells of the brain and spinal cord are damaged, leading to demyelination and affecting the ability of nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord to communicate with each other;
- "parkinson's disease" means a progressive disease of the nervous system marked by tremor, muscular rigidity, and slow, imprecise movement, chiefly affecting middle-aged and elderly people associated with degeneration of the basal ganglia of the brain and a deficiency of the neurotransmitter dopamine.
- Blood disorder—
- "haemophilia" means an inheritable disease, usually affecting only male but transmitted by women to their male children, characterised by loss or
impairment of the normal clotting ability of blood so that a minor would may result in fatal bleeding;
- "thalassemia" means a group of inherited disorders characterised by reduced or absent amounts of haemoglobin.
- "sickle cell disease" means a hemolytic disorder characterised by chronic anemia, painful events, and various complications due to associated tissue and organ damage; "hemolytic" refers to the destruction of the cell membrane of red blood cells resulting in the release of hemoglobin.
- Multiple Disabilities (more than one of the above specified disabilities) including deaf blindness which means a condition in which a person may have combination of hearing and visual impairments causing severe communication, developmental, and educational problems.
- Any other category as may be notified by the Central Government.