- Start reading relevant NCERT books from 6 to 12th standard.
- Start Reading some newspaper and brief notes to improve general awareness
- Listen to News and analysis on TV channels. DD/BBC/CNN/RajyaSabha channels should be preferred.
Understanding pattern of examination
- See the whole examination from an integrated approach ( pre cum Mains approach is best)
- Do not say let me clear the pre first than i will start preparing for mains
- Always remember the important date in the whole examination manner
- Do not waste time thinking " Still a lot of time is left"
Selection of optionals
- take into consideration factors your own academic background, Interest, Time available and access to resources before selecting optionals.
- There is nothing like good or bad optional, lengthy and small optional, these perceptions varies from person to person depending upon individual situation and capabilities.
- Do not decide the optional on the basis of success of others
- Give sufficient time to yourself to final decide the optional ( normally it must take around 15 days to complete the whole process)
- No optional is scoring or not scoring, it all depends upon how you have prepared it.
- Do not decide the optional on the basis of general studies.
- Take responsibility of your decision and prepare religiously.
Time management plan
- Prepare the mains part before the pre examination ie the optional subjects should be prepared before pre examination.
- Fix time limits for every aspect of the preparation
- Newspapers should not be given more than an hour before pre.
- Select you study material carefully as wrong material may waste your time
Selecting Study Material
- Do not collect the material as it comes
- Take a conscious decision to consult an expert while choosing it or refer to past year papers.
- There is no "the material"
- Do not ignore studying standard text books , concentrating simply on notes never helps
Check out Free Resources which can help you in your preparation