send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning your email id and mobileno registered with us! if details not recieved
Resend Opt after 60 Sec.
Please verify your mobile number
Subscribe to Notifications
Stay updated with the latest Current affairs and other important updates regarding video Lectures, Test Schedules, live sessions etc..
Refer & Earn
My Abhipedia Earning
Kindly Login to view your earning
History of Swahid Diwas:
1. 1978- Sudden demise of Lok Sabha MP from Mangaldai constituency Hiralal Potwary.
2. Bypolls for Mangaldoi constituency was organized.
3. Electoral rolls or the voter list showed that about 13 lakhs illegal migrants had got their names enrolled in the voter list.
4. Student organization of Assam - All Assam Students Union and local organization All Assam Gana Sangram Parishad started agitation against illegal migrants.
5. They demanded identification and deportation of illegal migrants out of Assam.
6. Many students had to quit their studies.
7. 860 students and protestors died overall in the protest.
8. In the late evening of 9th December, Khargeswar Talukdar, general secretary of Barpeta ASSU unit was beaten to death.
=> Khargeswar Talukdar is identified as first martyr of Assam movement by Assam government.
=> After that the protest became strong, about 860 more students died.
=> Finally the central government agreed to sign Assam accord in 1985 to fulfill the demands of the agitation.
=> Illegal migrants will be identified and deported out of Assam.
=> Clause VI- Social Political rights of Assamese people will be protected.
By: ASRAF UDDIN AHMED ProfileResourcesReport error
Access to prime resources